Some documents state that in the late XIX century, a small town devoted to cattle farming was settled. In spite of the effort made by the central government to colonize this isolated part of the country, the attempt failed due to an administration failure.
The official record of the first colonist dates back from 1936. It was don Juan Bohle Werner, who arrived at Los Leones Islands along with his wife Estela Guerrero and their five children. They became established in the southern area and began to work the land.
It was not until 1955 that a new group of colonists arrived to build houses. The Land and Colonization office was set up. The first school, the Civil Registry and the Chilean Post Office –which still remain in the district- were inaugurated ever since.
The present settlers pay homage to the first colonists who started what today is Port Raúl Marín Balmaceda.