The town was originated in 1890 when Spanish, English, Arabian, and Italian families, as well as old aboriginal settlers dedicated to farming and cattle breeding. Today the population is 3000 inhabitants.
It is situated at a height of 403 metres above sea level in a spot called "Pari-Aike" by the aborigines, which means "place with rush" or "birth", since it is near the origin of river Deseado.
By national decree number 10471 of 28 th May 1927 it is given the name of doctor Francisco Pascasio Moreno in homage to the tasks performed by him to settle Argentine sovereignty in these territories.
It was declared Archaeological Capital of Santa Cruz in 1981 for its proximity to the Cave Art in Cueva de las Manos.