Its origin goes back to the beginning of the XX century. In 1902 the national government created the colony of Nahuel Huapi and kept the place called La Angostura to build the town for topographical reasons. With time the first colonists arrived and settled.
In April 1928 the Minister of War, General Agustín P. Justo, visited the region, and sent a report to the executive with the requirements of the people, and received the highly expected telegraphic line Bariloche-Puerto Blest. He also expressed the necessity to install in the spot then called "Correntoso" a wireless telegraphic line to mitigate the isolation suffered by its inhabitants
On 12th October 1932, at the request of a group of neighbours, the provincial government authorized the creation of a telegraphic office in the spot, but the equipment, the house and the installment had to be paid by the inhabitants. The construction was immediately started, and with the support of Dirección General de Correos and neighbours Primo Capraro, Antonio M. Lynch, Exequiel Bustillo, Manuel Uribelarrea and Carlos Pacheco Santamarina, it was finished and inaugurated four months later in the place occupied today by the local Post Office. In the radiotelegraphic station was placed the fundamental stone and creation document of the village, called "General Agustín P Justo" by the population. But General Justo, when informed about it, thanked them for this honour, but declined it, and the station kept being called "Correntoso", and the village "Villa La Angostura", precisely for the location where it originated, in the isthmus of Quetrihué peninsula.
Nine years later, by decree of the executive, the subdivision of 405 has. of National Reserve was passed, and Villa La Angostura was traced. Some time later, also by decree of the executive, the capital of Los Lagos district in the province of Neuquén was tranferred to Villa La Angostura. A couple of years later, the first division into lots was carried out in the spot called "El Cruce", situated in the intersection of route "F" and the municipal road of the village, three kilometers from it. For different urban and social reasons, the area called "El Cruce" spontaneously grew at a much faster pace than the village itself, and it is at present the administrative and commercial centre, or the urban area of Villa La Angostura, while the"Villa" is the residential and port sector.
On 16th January 1946, at the request of a group of neighbours, the first commitee was formed. Communal activity was fortified and organized with the creation of the Comisión de Fomento de Villa La Angostura, approved by the Gobernación del Territorio del Neuquén in 1948, with a jurisdiction of approximately 8.000 has.