Churches of Chiloé, Patagonia, Chile
Churches of Chiloé, Patagonia, Chile

Home
Colo Church
San Juan Church
Tenaún Church
Dalcahue Church
Achao Church
Castro Church
Nercón Church
Church
Chonchi Church
Ichuac Church
Aldachildo Church
Rilán Church
Detif Church
Chelín Church
Quinchao Church
Caguach Church
Back to Interpatagonia



Chonchi Church

Iglesia de Chonchi

Esta ubicada sobre la playa de Chonchi en la Isla Grande de Chiloé, y recibió el nombre de "el fin de la cristiandad" por parte de los españoles colonizadores.
Las misiones jesuíticas eligieron este lugar para establecer una capilla de avanzada de sus circuitos misionales , sobre la zona más austral de la Isla Grande, siendo su fundación oficial en 1767 y habiendo construido la primer iglesia en 1769. El templo actual fue construido a fines del siglo XIX ya que el anterior se derribó por la decrepitud de su estado . El actual emplazamiento está ubicado en una zona alta , dominando todo el entorno hasta la costa.

Iglesia de Chonchi

Chonchi is located justi in the place where the Isla Grande turns mor narrow, at the western coast in fron of Lemuy island. Jesuits choose this place to settle another foward point in theri cycling mission, in order to spread the evangelization to the southermost zones on the archipelago. The official foundation of Villa San Carlos de Chonchi took place in 1767. The first church was stood in 1769. The present temple was built during the two last decades of XIX century, after the falling down of the former demaged church. The town stands on a slope that makes it known as "the three storied city" from which outstands the church located in the last storey, what gives to it a wide view towards the coast.


Back to Chiloé Churches



Source and Photos : Servicio Nacional de Turismo - Gobierno de Chile
Versión en Español