Patagonia, Monday, September 26, 2016

Churches of Chiloé

Ichuac Church
Text: Mónica Pons - Photos: Eduardo Epifanio
Ichuac 
Located in the town bearing the same name on Lemuy Island, the present church was built by the community and inaugurated in 1880, though some records give proof that a chapel existed in 1735. It has a portico supported by three pillars ending in lancet arches. The outstanding detail on the façade is the presence of a painted clock striking 3pm.

It is believed that it commemorates Christ's time of death and the earthquake of 1960. Its inside walls are painted white and its ceiling is made of wood which displays its natural color. It has been subject to refurbishing works in charge of Fundación Amigos de las Iglesias de Chiloé. It is known as Mary's Birth Church and its patron is Virgin of Candelaria, whose feast is held on February 2.
Ichuac

Paleontology

Approximately 65 million years ago, a large percentage of vegetables and animals suddenly became extinct. It was in the late Cretaceous period and there are various theories about it. Some scientists attribute this event to a gradual process that finally led to selective extinction. Others assert that a catastrophe, such as an asteroid hitting the Earth, caused these species mass extinction.

Read more...
Patagonian wines

Located in the southern end of the American continent, Patagonia meets several natural conditions and characteristics ideal for growing vineyards.
Pure air, clear skies and endless silences are only interrupted by the whispers of the winds that cross the area from the Andes Mountain Range to the Atlantic Ocean, carrying the mysterious aromas of the bushes and the wild berries.

Read more...
 
Inter Patagonia - Information on Churches of Chiloé
© InterPatagonia 2002-2016 Total or partial reproduction forbidden. Derechos de Autor 675245 Ley 11723

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter InterPatagonia Videos on YouTube Follow us in Google+