Chapels of Gaiman

This historical legacy forms an unforgettable journey. The chapels were the spiritual and community support to accompany the tenacity of the Welsh settlers.

The Welsh chapels constitute a historical legacy in the lower valley of the Chubut River. The congregations that were forming in Gaiman built their chapels to celebrate their Protestant cults. However, it was not only a religious service, but also meeting spaces where the community was concerned with their interests.

These meeting points were pillars for the hard-working community. There were moments of extreme difficulties, however, the meeting in the chapel diluted the problems to focus on the spirit and faith. In the chapels the tea ceremony emerges as a social and participatory activity that was celebrated after the cult.
The fences of the Chubut River keep the charm of outdoor walks, including the visit to the farms and the historical tour of the rural chapels.

  • Chapel Bethel

    Chapel Bethel

  • Chapel Bryn Crwn

    Chapel Bryn Crwn

  • Chapel Seion

    Chapel Seion

  • Chapel Salem

    Chapel Salem

  • Chapel Bethesda

    Chapel Bethesda

  • Chapel Bethel

    Chapel Bethel

  • Historic photo Bethel Chapel

    Historic photo Bethel Chapel

Bethel Chapel


This chapel was built next to the old Bethel chapel, built in 1880 on land donated by Elisa Evans of Williams. The new chapel, surrounded by huge poplars, dates from 1913. It is located in the urban ejido and belongs to the Union of Chubut Free Churches. It is the largest enclosure of those that make up the set of Welsh temples.

Bryn Crwn Chapel


This chapel was built around 1900 with the work of the entire community, in the farm of Catherine Hughes de Mariani, in the Bryn Crwn area. Being a collective work, it was decided to give it a unified character. It is the first of its kind in the valley.

Chapel of Seion


In the place of Bryn Gwyn, this chapel of the Calvinist Methodist Congregation was built on Evan Lewis grounds around 1883. This was collapsed by a storm and the new chapel was erected in 1888. It is built with cooked bricks and roof of veneers. zinc to three waters. It is declared a National Historic Landmark.

Salem Chapel


In La Angostura, it is known as the "little chapel". Built in 1912 in the David Jenkins farm, it is the only wooden chapel covered by zinc sheets. It belongs to the Independent Protestant Congregation. It had functions as a school. At present, religious service is not celebrated.

Bethesda Chapel


In 1904 this chapel of the Independent Protestant Congregation was built as a consequence of the separation of the believers from the Glan Alaw chapel. He got up on the grounds of Griffith Pugh. Your services are sporadic.

The choral art of the Welsh was developed in the chapels, whose cultural value is still preserved. Today only in some chapels are regular cults celebrated, but none is foreign to the tea ceremony that is offered on special dates, such as every July 28, when the first Welsh landing in the New Gulf is commemorated in 1865.

Autor Miriam Coronel Fotografo Interpatagonia.com

Recommendations Currently, there are 16 distributed throughout the lower valley that are part of the historical legacy of Welsh colonization in the region. In addition to regular services, some offer Welsh tea every July 28 to commemorate the Landing Party (Gwyl and Glaniad) when the arrival of the first settlers in Puerto Madryn on board the Mimosa Sailboat is remembered.

Activities and Tours in Gaiman

Hotels and accommodations in Gaiman

Organiza tu viaje con: welcomeargentina.com | welcomeuruguay.com | welcomechile.com