The resort El Cóndor on the coast of Rio de Janeiro, 30 km from the city of Viedma, is a destination of extensive beaches and territory of the first continental lighthouse installed in 1887. The oldest lighthouse in Patagonia is a walk between cliffs to enjoy another side of the coast, one more linked to the mystique of the torches that guided the ships to safe harbor.
Declared a National Historic Monument, the lighthouse is still in operation and turned 135 years old in 2022. It is one of the oldest lighthouses in Argentina. It is located on the southern canyon of the mouth of the Negro River at 43.5 meters above sea level, near the El Cóndor spa, where the Danish motor sailboat that gave its name to the beach ran aground.
It was inaugurated on May 25, 1887 in an act presided over by Lorenzo Vintter, governor of the rionegrino territory. other lighthouses of the time, it was intended to illuminate the geographical features of the proximity of the river and the transit of barges towards the port of Carmen de Patagones, even beyond, the crossing of sailors who ventured into Antarctic waters.